Sunday, January 10, 2010

Radio Show Days...

Yesterday my radio show, Jimmy Church Radio, went live.

We finally finished the site two days ago and we thought we were ready to fly.

Well, things never go as planned.

First, the night before the first broadcast I couldn't sleep. I was awake in bed, in the dark, until 5am. We planned on the first show to air around 3pm on Saturday. Well, it aired at midnite.

My brother in law, Sam, is providing the space for our studio in an unused office at his rather large (and growing) catering company in North Hollywood and we arrived around noon. We have set up a nice little studio which is sound proof and ideal for what we need until we expand. After eating, drinking coffee and a little conversation we got to setting up all of our equipment for the session.

Our first technical problem was that after installing all of software on his computer system (we have a duplicate setup, with multiple computers here at home) we found that our digital interfaces for the audio wouldn't run on Vista, no matter what we tried. Our only alternative was to record into Windows Recorder (crap audio) then import those files into Adobe Audition and edit from there.

This took about four hours to figure out and by the time we were ready for me to start the show my mind was fried. The process was very time consuming and I never really got into the zone where my mind and mouth connect at the same time.

We ended up coming back home with the audio files and finished the show here.

Then, we attempted to upload the show to our servers. The one-hour file was too big. It was supposed to be fine, according to our hosting company but it just wouldn't upload.

We had to then cut up the show into 10 minute segments (really nine, to be safe) ...which meant another full-on edit session.

Like I said, we were well-cooked and live on the web at midnight.

Today was a little different.

We decided to forgo the nice studio and record the show our house where we know that from a technical side we don't have any issues.

The show, from start to finish was on the web in two hours. It was great. I was able to get the juices flowing (recording real audio makes a world of difference) and I actually sounded like I knew something...faking intelligence is half the battle...and now the next problem to deal with (one we didn't plan on) is getting rid of Vista and installing Windows 7 over at Sam's place...until then, I like broadcasting from my couch in the living room. Nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment