Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The first word.

OK, this is my first day blogging.

This blog is about sports, but before we get down a little why I'm doing this...

My background is in the music business. I came to Los Angeles in 1984 to be a rock star...when that didn't work out I moved on to producing big-hair bands on the Sunset Strip then on to the business side of the industry working for Guitar Center, Alesis, AMEK, Paul Reed Smith and HHB.

Music and sports are similar. Professional entertainment. Most musicians are as passionate about sports as music, and atheletes are the same about music. While I went through my career I followed every sport I cared about: Auto racing, boxing, NFL, NBA...a little baseball...and while I watched ESPN and the local sports guys I realized that I picked the wrong career. I really wanted and should have been a sportscaster. I would say to myself "I'm could be better than these guys, I have something to say!".

In Los Angeles, the best sports-radio station is AM570. I have listened to it everyday for 15 years and I've always wanted to work there. Overall, they have the best programming...Dan Patrick (who has the best show on radio, period), Jim Rome, Steve Hartman (Chris Meyers needs to go), Matt Money Smith (Petros needs to be put in check), Tony Bruno (I like him more every day)...I just needed to find a way to get connected with the station and get a job.

So, after 25 years in the music industry I decided to go back to school. I went to CSB School of broadcasting in Burbank, CA to study sportscasting for radio and television. I was the oldest guy in the room.

Since graduating in March I have tried to work my way into AM570 without success..and I've decided to do things my way. The gloves are on.

First is this blog. Second is my sport-radio website: jimmychurchradio.com. Third is my Facebook networking page.

I will broadcast and podcast live everyday from my website. The focus is sports, but I'll have a guest everyday from music, tv, film...I have many friends in the biz...musicians, actors, directors, producers...who you'll know and all who will have something to say about sports.

The great thing about internet radio is I'll be able to speak my mind without offending sponsors, my boss or have to answer to anyone. Nothing frustrates me more than listening to someone on-air who can't or won't say what he really feels or is totally wrong about the issues.

There is nothing worse than watered-down ESPN radio. Barf.

The best thing about AM570 was their local sports coverage. All of Los Angeles felt the station was theirs and AM570 was their voice. When they lost the Lakers last year and went national with FOX Sports things went south for the station. More on this in a later blog.

This blog will be my thoughts, opinions and of course some inside info for everyone to chew on and may be cause for interesting conversation with your friends.

I'll leave you with this: Colts over Vikings in the big one...35-24.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jimmy just sendin a shout out left from Indy
    it's Saints and Winners 34-17.
    Good luck on your new endeavor my kind of Radio
    No corporate bailout needed.

    ReplyDelete